Time has crept past again, must be all the work on It’s Japan, Man! that;s slowing us down lately, apologies. But here’s the latest installment of Gaming Life in Japan, the segment where we take a look at the sales charts fresh from Japan.
Let’s jump straight in!
The software charts have a new contender with a new release for the Nintendo 3DS rocketing straight up the charts into the top spot. Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca’s Wonderful Mysterious Keys from Square Enix shifted a staggering 443,656 units this week was more than enough to do the job. Another new entry, also from Square Enix for the 3DS, Puyopuyo Tetris, took the number 2 position selling 44,627 units in its debut week. Massive difference in numbers between first and second positions! Meanwhile, last week’s number one has been relegated to the third spot, that game being Namco Bandai’s Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. Full Boost for the PS3. The 3DS easily takes charge of the top ten with Pokemon X/Y holding the fort at number 10. Nintendo took out 6 of the top 10 positions this week, no mention of the Wii U however, all on the 3DS which can do no wrong.
The PS Vita took 2 positions in the top 10 with Terraria and Super Heroine Chronicle at numbers 7 and 8, respectively.
Looking at hardware, well no big surprises here with the 3DS the highest selling hardware this week with 36,306 units sold. Up from last week’s figure of 26,042. The PS Vita is doing well in 2nd spot with 16,951 units sold, a slight decrease from the 20,457 units of last week. The Wii U woes continue however with 7,180 units shifted this week, down from the 8,072 of the previous week.
- [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca’s Wonderful Mysterious Keys (Square Enix, 02/06/14) – 443,656 (New)
- [3DS] Puyopuyo Tetris (Square Enix, 02/06/13) – 44,627 (New)
- [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. Full Boost (Namco Bandai, 01/30/14) – 29,647 (299,587)
- [3DS] Yokai Watch (Level-5, 07/11/13) – 28,407 (401,606)
- [3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Nintendo, 01/09/14) – 24,658 (417,115)
- [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z (GungHo Online Entertainment, 12/12/31) – 16,876 (1,343,779)
- [PSV] Terraria (Spike Chunsoft, 02/06/14) – 15,070 (New)
- [PSV] Super Heroine Chronicle (Namco Bandai, 02/06/13) – 14,467 (New)
- [PS3] Diablo III (Square Enix, 01/30/14) – 13,204 (54,931)
- [3DS] Pokemon X and Y (Nintendo, 10/12/13) – 11,963 (3,937,571)
- 3DS LL – 36,306 (26,042)
- PlayStation Vita – 16,951 (20,457)
- 3DS – 12,002 (11,420)
- PlayStation 3 – 10,240 (14,100)
- Wii U – 7,180 (8,072)
- PSP – 2,948 (3,366)
- PlayStation Vita TV – 1,331 (1,789)
- Xbox 360 – 194 (260)